A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Monday 23 June 2014

Will my corn be as high as an elephant`s eye?

I refer of course to a line from the song  "Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin" from the wonderful musical Oklahoma.
My sweetcorn has grown to about a metre high in just over a month but I doubt it will reach as high as the song suggests, I put the excellent growth down to a really liberal application of well rotted compost dug in before planting, just need more sun and plenty of water now.
The plot looked lovely this morning so I took plenty of photos including a beautiful Scarlet Tiger Moth such a shame they rest with the wings closed.
A seven spot native ladybird was nice to observe instead of the invader species.
I dug the last of my first early potato Vales Emerald and got a surprise with the amount of potatoes off just one plant. 10 pictures in total










Vales Emerald from just one plant




15 comments:

  1. The spuds and Broad Beans are definitely my kind of thing. It sounds as if you are very keen on Vale's Emerald; I might try them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think Charlotte takes some beating for texture and flavour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the light filtering through the poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really pleased with the little Sony RX100m2 camera it does most things well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shots David - especially the moth. That's not a bad haul of beans and potatoes - I have grown Foremost potatoes again this year they have a lovely flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine are Foremost a firm texture I may try then next year? Vales Emerald break up if overcooked in the slightest

      Delete
  6. Blimey I've only just planted or sweet corn out! Potatoes and broad beans look good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue we are down on the South coast some distance from you weather wise

      Delete
    2. PS I believe that should read Martyn

      Delete
  7. Beautiful flowers and also great shots! Your harvest is so lovely. Such a nice and productive garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Endah and thanks for your welcome comments

      Delete
  8. Our veggies seem to be behind everyone elses. Still it will all get eaten or shared out just a bit later.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing beats freshly picked sweetcorn! Love the poppy photos, they look like tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete