A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Monday 30 June 2014

Where have the butterflies gone

Not so long ago the buddleia bush on the plot would have been visited by many different types of butterflies, sadly I have seen over the last few weeks only the Comma and the Cabbage White how has it been on your plot? Flighty has kindly given me this useful link
The pot marigolds are adding a real splash of colour and the verbena bonariensis  on a nieghbours plots standing about 2 metres high swaying in the breeze is a delight. I make no excuse for adding more poppy pictures to the blog the subtle variation in colours is wonderful.





companion planting? marigold in the leeks

Comma



verbena bonariensis standing tall

verbena bonariensis

No veg on this small part of the plot

14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, David...GBHs...XX :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen many butterflies yet this year either - and then mostly Small Whites and Speckled Woods. Last year was a good one for them, so perhaps they are just starting late?
    I was intrigued at first by the idea of Valerian 2 metres tall, but then (after looking it up) I realised you were talking about a different type to that which I was envisaging - the common Red Valerian, which is a different thing altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love poppies and your photo is poppies to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the valerian really verbena bonariensis? Your buddleias are well ahead of our - not even buds yet. Do you cut yours right down like I do. Last year our buddleias were teaming with peacock butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its looks a more likely candidate Sue but not being on my plot I can`t confirm, the buddleia is left to grow as it likes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous flowers everywhere. You are doing us proud with your pics David.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean many thanks for saying so, I enjoy taking them as much as you do viewing them

      Delete
  7. Wonderful pictures as always David. I didn't realise there was a June gap for butterflies too. I haven't seen so many in the garden over the last few weeks,but I discovered many when walking through a flower meadow at the weekend. They wouldn't stay still enough to photograph! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That`s often the way with photographing wildlife Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have only seen the odd one or two but the buddleia isn't in flower yet and I am hoping they will arrive in their droves.

    ReplyDelete