A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Saturday 21 July 2012

First Broad Bean Harvest

A gorgeous sunny day today on the beach, after a nice lunch, a swim and a snooze, thought  we ought to make a quick trip to the plot this evening to pick  some goodies.

Carrots are doing poorly but then so are Monty Don`s so I am going to re-sow next week.
Shallots are starting to rot due to water-logging so will pick the rest of those tomorrow
My re-sown peas are going up like a rocket amazing what a bit of sun and warmth will do.
Beetroot`s can now be picked on a regular basis, so can radish
Broad beans first pick today, lovely and lots more to follow
First cauliflower pulled, just showing a little water damage
Did a blind potato tasting today Anya or PFA no question PFA


Tomorrow is due to be a lovely day here in  Eastbourne so we plan to Barbecue some lamb chops  for our evening meal at the chalet. Will serve together with cauliflower, broad beans, and Charlotte potatoes. 

                                            A small but tasty harvest

We also picked shallots and the last of the rhubarb. The cauliflower is showing some water damage but should still be tasty

3 comments:

  1. It all looks good, and I'm sure tastes even better.
    I've given up with carrots this year! Flighty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now after all these years I have discovered that I do indeed like beetroot I must try and grow my own next year-any particular variety David would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your meal - my cauliflowers have come to nothing this year so I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete