A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Saturday 8 December 2012

Holywell and the beach chalets

Our retreat when the weather allows is our beach chalet which we rent on a annual basis from Eastbourne borough council, it is quite expensive to rent but as we do not have a annual holiday as such
we consider we get good value as we can use it 365 days a year. It`s not large probably 4 x 3 meters with a porch of about the same size but it has all we need, a gas cooker, sink and mains running water no electricity though. Toilets and showers are in separate block just along from the chalets, there are 69 of them and they were built around 1930 and there is a waiting list to hire them.
We have it well stocked with beachwear including wetsuits, a kayak, water shoes, fins, towels, swimwear , barbecue in other words everything we might need, oh and of course buckets and spades for the grand children. I have taken some picture to give you some idea.  My apologies but there are 14 pictures in the set.
The bottom five pictures I took with my iphone camera and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they turned out.
The children`s (and mine occasionally) kayak



Swimming and kayaking safe shallow water and the Holywell reef

Walking poles and wetsuit

some local art

old but where could you replace it

The view out west at low water

The porch sitting area

Charity shop Axminster carpet

sunset


The promenade just below the chalets

looking towards Beachy Head
Sandy beach at low water

7 comments:

  1. Some lovely photos, David, which aptly illustrate the attraction of the place. I often wish I lived by the sea. When you have a view of the sea there is always something new to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pictures David - you obviously make good use of your chalet - if I owned it I doubt that anything else would get done - just to sit in the porch and watch the world go by - and those fabulous views - well worth the money I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have one of those - the views from your chalet are amazing! My parents rented a chalet in Hove for a while. Your last few photographs are lovely I had to go back to the top to make sure they were the ones that you had taken from your phone!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just goes to show how phone/camera technology has advanced over the last few years

      Delete
  4. It all looks really cosy and with a fantastic view. I love that basin, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,
    Thank you for your encouraging words.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete