A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Saturday 11 June 2016

Accord first early potatoes

Harvested the first of them today exactly 10 weeks after planting out the tubers. The taste will be all important. They should grow more if left in the ground a little longer, sadly all my three varieties of potatoes are in need of a really good drop of rain which is in short supply at the moment. My plot soil is free draining loam over a chalk base, and that applies to most of Eastbourne and the south downs.

My good friend Jennifer Hunter kindly sent me a mixture of nigella seeds last year and the mixed colours are a picture of delight growing across one allotment bed in amongst the pineapple mint the roots of which will need attending to soon.





6 comments:

  1. They look like nice spuds, David, even if they are few. Quality is better than quantity! I think I'll lift my first ones tomorrow and see what they're like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that spuds in sacks are really the way to go for me next season the yield is so good from one sack which i am harvesting soon watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your pineapple mint overwinter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like the taste on your first potatoes of the season. We have decided not to grow any this year,seeing your crop makes we wish that we had grown some! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering next year whether to grow spuds in containers

      Delete